Product code: P12012
- Naturally occurring ‘friendly’ bacteria
- Assists in the digestion and absorption of food
- Helps to maintain a healthy bacterial balance
Lactobacillus acidophilus is a naturally occurring ‘friendly’ bacteria that resides in the upper section of the GI tract.
Acidophilus is considered a ‘probiotic’ bacteria because it helps to maintain intestinal health, assisting in the digestion and absorption of food, and serves as a natural antibiotic against potentially harmful organisms.
Natural intestinal bacteria may become compromised with aging, illness, or taking certain medications such as antibiotics.
Many people take acidophilus to treat and prevent digestive disorders, vaginal infections, and other illnesses. As it suppresses destructive bacteria, acidophilus allows the body to maintain a healthy bacterial balance. Acidophilus is often recommended as a safeguard during antibiotic therapy, which can suppress beneficial bacteria and trigger the growth of yeast infections.
Acidophilus is most commonly used to:
- Ease irritable bowel syndrome - Acidophilus may bring relief to those suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a constellation of gastrointestinal symptoms that include abdominal bloating, cramping, and diarrhoea. A recent study found that acidophilus showed a significant benefit in 50% of patients with the primary symptoms of IBS.
- Control diarrhoea - If diarrhoea is due to antibiotic use, acidophilus will help to correct the bacterial imbalances caused by them. Some strains of traveller’s diarrhoea may be weakened by acidophilus, perhaps because the immune-boosting effects of probiotics help to reduce intestinal inflammation.
- Reduce flatulence - As it restores a healthy balance of bacteria in the digestive tract, acidophilus can keep gas-producers in the large intestine from multiplying. Increasing the gut's level of good bacteria relieves flatulence, while lessening wind and bloating.
- Combat vaginal yeast and other infections associated with Candida – a yeast that normally lives in harmony in your body, Candida albicans can begin to overgrow following antibiotic use. Chronic candidiasis such as this can produce digestive disturbances, fatigue, and allergies, among other symptoms. Because they promote a healthy intestinal environment, acidophilus and other probiotics can help to halt Candida overgrowth. Using antibiotics only when truly necessary will also help avoid the problem of Candida infection.
- Relieve urinary tract infections - Lactobacilli such as acidophilus are the dominant members of healthy bacterial life in the urinary tract. Studies have shown that as antibiotic-like substances, they are powerful enough to neutralise Escherichia (E.) coli bacteria, the source of many urinary tract infections.